1. Mushrooms Not every mushroom is created equal. Cremini mushrooms might make perfect pasta toppers, but some species contain poisons that can kill.
2. Tomatoes The juicy, red fruit contains a poison, glycoalkaloid, in its leaves, which is known for causing upset stomachs, severe cramping, and anxiety. So steer clear of the leaves and stems.
3. Rhubarb Leaves Rhubarb might bake up all kinds of delicious sweets, but the leaves are poisonous, causing breathing trouble, seizures, kidney failure, and in some cases, death.
4. Peanuts One of the most common allergies is to peanuts. The most severe response is anaphylaxis, which can lead to severe constriction of the airways, shock, and even loss of consciousness. It is dangerous enough to cause death if left untreated, so know your allergies before stepping anywhere near these babies or their addictive friend, peanut butter.
5. Shellfish A severe allergic reaction to shellfish can inhibit breathing and even be life-threatening.
6. Potatoes Potatoes have both poisonous stems and leaves, but even so, potato poisoning is rare. Most potato-related death deaths come from eating green potatoes or drinking potato leaf tea.
7. Cherries Watch out for cherry seeds, which contain poisonous hydrogen cyanide.
8.Raw Meat and Uncooked Eggs Raw meat — including red meat, poultry, and seafood — and uncooked eggs can contain salmonella bacteria, which can cause gastroenteritis in humans. Salmonella poisoning can also lead to serious complications, such as bacteremia (when salmonella enters the bloodstream), that are life-threatening to people with weaker immune systems. So light a flame under your meat to avoid any risks.
9.Almonds This seed (no, it isn’t actually a nut) may pack in many health benefits — but they are also potentially full of poison. Bitter almonds, while in their raw form, are full of cynaide. They need to go through a specialized heat treatment (more than just your DIY oven roasting) in order to remove the toxins.
10.Hot Dogs The ballpark favorite is the leading cause of choking fatalities among children, so watch your little ones when they scarf ’em down.
11. Stone Fruit Seeds and Apple Seeds Apples and stone fruits — cherries, plums, apples, pears, peaches, and apricots — are nature’s candy, but stay away from the seeds (as well as the bark and leaves). They contain amygdalin, a compound that produces cyanide. Large doses can lead to dizziness and vomiting, increased blood pressure, kidney failure, coma, and even death.
12.Elderberry We love us some berries, but the elderberry plant, used in medicinal syrups, sodas, and liquors, can cause a severely upset stomach, so stay away from the stems and leaves.
13.Castor Oil Castor oil comes from the castor bean plant, which is loaded with the poison ricin. Make sure the beans your castor oil was made from adhere to all safety guidelines.
14.Fugu (Puffer Fish) The puffer fish’s skin and certain organs contain an extremely poisonous toxin that can paralyze a human and even cause death.
15.Live Octopus Be careful if you ever eat live octopus — the suction cups can get stuck to your throat if you don’t chew thoroughly. And that does not sound pleasant.
This pear-shaped fruit needs to ripen fully, as it contains toxins that can lead to death. Importation of the raw food is banned in the U.S, but you can buy it canned.