If you’re looking for advice on where to take your girlfriend on a romantic dinner or how to surprise your boyfriend for your anniversary, you can consult traditional dispensaries of dating wisdom, like Cosmo or your older brother.
If you’re more concerned about overcoming the rough patches, then you should turn to Game of Thrones for relationship advice.
1. Be willing to try new things for them.
Raw hearts might not be your thing, but just think of it as repayment for taking him to that chick flick.
2. Don’t feel pressured to be exclusive.
Sure your father might be forcing you to take a bride, but that doesn’t mean you have to break up with your girlfriend right away.
3. Always give the benefit of the doubt in a pop culture reference argument — even when you know for a fact that you’re right.
No one likes a know-it-all.
4. Don’t be too proud to ask for help.
You might be self-sufficient, but if your girlfriend understands the culture and terrain of your new surroundings, take her up on a crash course.
5. Don’t let jealousy get to your head.
Nothing ruins a relationship faster then suspicion (besides beheading).
6. Don’t be a backstabber.
Chances are you have a Lord Varys in your social circle who has eyes and ears everywhere — you can never be sure what comment will make its way back to your significant other.
7. Pick your battles.
It’s bound to sting when your boyfriend likes an ex’s status or brings home a bastard son. But if you want to stay with him, you have to learn to forgive and let things go.
8. Recognize the problems in your relationship, and address them ASAP.
If you don’t take the time to talk through your issues, you could end up choking your beloved crazy priestess.
9. Offer helpful solutions instead of straight criticism.
Pointing out your significant other’s ignorance will simply hurt their feelings. Instead, use their flaws to teach them how to properly battle the elements will let them know you care.
10. You don’t have to change your appearance to get attention.
Extreme make-overs might seem like an easy way to get that special guy or girl to notice you, but whether you cut off all your hair or start styling it in the fashion of the West, you’ll still be you deep down.
11. Don’t use love to manipulate.
Just because you can get your boyfriend to push a small child out a window for you doesn’t necessarily mean you should.
12. Appreciate the time you have together.
You never know when an out of state job could drag one of you away, or an old witch could leave one of you completely brain dead.
13. Try to take their concerns seriously, even if they seem silly.
Maybe you’re sure that White Walkers are no longer lurking about, but that doesn’t mean your partner’s White Walker fear isn’t real.
14. Don’t stay in a bad relationship just to avoid being alone.
Unless it’s an arranged relationship to bring two rival houses together, then you’re kind of stuck.
15. If you can’t make up with a dragon, puppies are your go-to.
Seriously, if you don’t have access to dragons, puppies are the best gift to endear yourself to your crush. And they grow into great protectors.